10 August 2024

Coastal Georgia Tropical Storm Debby Radio Report (What there is of it...)

Some readers may have come here during and after Hurricane/Tropical Storm Debby looking for radio updates, but I was working midnights all week down in Brunswick and didn't have many chances to listen much less post anything. Down in Brunswick, we didn't seem to get hit as hard as areas up toward Statesboro and Savannah did. As I traveled up I-95 yesterday morning, standing water on the side of the road was noticeably higher in Bryan and Chatham counties. I did do some listening when I got back home in Savannah yesterday and heard some Debby related communications:

Chatham County helicopter EAGLE 02 (MD-369E, N102CQ, Chatham Co) doing surveys around the Ogeechee River in the southern part of the county due to river flooding after TS Debby

  • Bryan, Bulloch, Chatham, and Effingham County fire departments were busy with flooding and water rescue type calls as a result of flooding, especially around areas where the Ogeechee and Savannah Rivers are rising. Quite a few of those water rescues sounded like they were caused by people driving around barricades and onto flooded roads. For what to listen to, check the RadioReference SEGARRN page.
  • Yesterday morning, Chatham EMA personnel were active checking areas and passing flooding reports to the Chatham County EOC on the CEMA 1 SEGARRN talkgroup.
  • Chatham County's helicopter EAGLE 02 (MD-369E, N102CQ, Chatham Co) was up several times yesterday doing what seemed to be aerial surveys of the flooding along the Ogeechee River in the southern part of Chatham County. I didn't hear any air-to-ground communications with them, but I did hear them on 125.975 with Savannah Tower and 124.975 with Hunter Tower.
The National Guard has been assisting in Bulloch County but I haven't heard any related communications. I saw on the news last night that other areas have requested National Guard assistance, so I'll be listening out over the next few days and will update if I hear anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment